In America , a lot of people to change their eating habits, to eat more healthy food started eating tofu in exchange of meat or eggs. Tofu also known as bean curd, is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. There are many different varieties of tofu, including fresh tofu and tofu that has been processed in some way. It has subtle flavor and it can be used in savory and sweet dishes.
Of course that soy industry will tell that you are making the right move for a better health, but the real thing is that processed soy, which includes tofu, is not healthy at all. There are much better foods to eat which are 100% healthy , just like: organic eggs, grass-fed meat and raw dairy products.
Dr. Daniel said that in Asia people eat small amounts of whole soybean products, but the western food processors separate the soybean into two golden commodities- protein and oil and that that is not safe or natural at all.
She also said that high-tech processing methods are failing to remove the anti-nutrients and toxins that are naturally present in soybeans and that they leave toxic and carcinogenic residues that are created by the high temperatures and high pressure.
The worst thing when it comes to soy products is that the fractionated products like soy protein isolate and hydrolyzed plant protein, as all processed soy contains phytates that block mineral absorption and trypsin inhibitors that block proper digestion.
Tofu is a whole soy product and that is why it is one step up, but no matter what it still contains the anti-nutrients listed above.
The health problems caused by high-soy diet are:
– Thyroid problems: weight gain, lethargy, malaise, fatigue, hair loss, and loss of libido
– Premature puberty and other developmental problems in babies, children and adolescents
– Brain damage
– Reproductive disorders
– Soy allergies
Dr. Daniel also made a research about tofu, and with her colleagues they found out that soy does not lower cholesterol, but in fact increases homocysteine levels in many people, and by that it means that your risk of heart disease, stroke, and birth defects are increased also. Dr Daniel conclusion is that your risk of heart disease is increased if you consume soy.
Read this very carefully because it is very important, vulnerable to soy’s hormone-mimicking effects are babies and children, who are still developing. The worst thing is that the daily exposure to estrogen-imitating chemicals for infants who consume soy formulas is 6-11 times higher than adults consuming soy foods. This has been proved on a Lancet study.
Also that study showed that blood concentration of these hormones was 13,000 to 22,000 times higher than estrogen in the blood. An infant exclusively fed soy formula receives the estrogenic equivalent ,which is based on the body weight, of up to five birth control pills daily. Not only that you need to stop giving soy products to your baby, pregnant women should avoid consuming soy products too, if they want to avoid health problems with their unborn child.
That is not all:
– Soybeans are high in natural toxins, also known as antinutrients. A large quantity of inhibitors that deter the enzymes needed for protein digestion. During ordinary cooking these enzyme inhibitors are not entirely disabled. This can result to gastric distress and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake, which can lead to a dangerous pancreatic implairments and cancer.
– Soybeans contain hemaglutinins, which cause red blood cells to group together. Growth-depressant substances can be found in soybeans, and this substances are reduced in processing, they are not completely removed.
– Soy contains goitrogens. This can lead to depressed thyroid function.
– Most soybeans (over 80%) are genetically modified. This means that the highest levels of pesticide contamination of all foods can be found in them.
– Soybeans are very high in phytates, so the absorption of minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc will prevent. This minerals are co-factors for optimal biochemistry in the body.
But even after all this you still want to eat soy , here are some advices how to enjoy soy but in a safe mode.
Here is a one good thing, there are few types of soy that are healthy, and all of them are fermented. The phytic acid and antinutrient levels of the soybeans are reduced, after a long fermentation process. So their beneficial properties (such as the creation of natural probiotics) are available to your digestive system. Another good thing is that it reduces the levels of dangerous isoflavones (similar to estrogen in their chemical structure) and can interfere with the action of your own estrogen production.
Here are some options to eat soy, without having health problems but instead have good benefits from it:
1. Natto ( traditional Japanese food ), made from soybeans fermented with Bacillius subtillis(powerful beneficial bacteria), with a sticky texture and strong, cheese-like flavor and a powerful smell. Highest source of vitamin K2 on the planet can be found in natto. By mass, natto is 55% water, 18% protein, 11% fats, 5% fiber, and 5% sugars.
2. Tempeh. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form with a mushroom-like flavor.
3. Miso. It is a traditional Japanese seasoning produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and the fungus Aspergillus oryzae, with a salty buttery texture commonly used in miso soup.
4. Soy sauce is acondiment made from afermented paste of boiled soybeans, roasted grain, brine, and Aspergillus oryzae or Aspergillus sojae molds.
There are a lot of soy products on the market but you need to remember that soy milk, soy burgers, soy cheese, soy ice cream, soy protein powders and NOT HEALTHY FOOD. So if you want a better health and not to cause some damage to your health avoid products with processed soy.
To completely avoid soy is to buy whole foods and to prepare them ourselves is the advice that Dr. Daniel has for us.