According to statistical data, American people consume more soda than ever before. Namely, more than 25 % of all drinks consumed in the U.S. are soft drinks. In 2000, there were sold over 15 billion gallons of soda, which is about one 12-ounce can per day for each man, woman and child.
Here is what soda does to your body:
1. Extra Pounds It is one of the major causes of obesity. One single can of sugary drink can lead to one pound of weight gain every month. Diet soda is even worse because it contains artificial sweeteners which can trigger a whole set of hormonal and physiologic responses which lead to weight gain.
2. Liver Damage This drink has very harmful effects on your liver. Over-consumption of soda leads to increased risk of developing cirrhosis, similarly as in the case of chronic alcoholics.
3. Tooth Decay Soda can damage your tooth enamel as well. Soda`s acidity has more harmful effect on teeth than the sugar found in candies.
4. Kidney stones and chronic kidney disease Colas and all other kinds of sodas are loaded with phosphoric acid which causes changes in the urine that will later lead to kidney stone formation. Consuming less than 12-ounce cans in a week can increase your risk of kidney stones by 15 percent.
5. Diabetes Every food that is associated with weight gain increases the risk of diabetes. Drinking soda alters the body`s ability to process sugar properly. Scientists now think that this may be the reason why the number of Americans with diabetes type 2 ha tripled from 6.6 million in 1980 to 20.7 million nowadays.